I love smoothing body oils on my skin after I get out of the shower. The way they lock in moisture and subtly scent my skin starts my day with a positive outlook and at night, guides me to sleep. When body oils are made with all natural moisturizers, I love them even more. Add a beautiful scent derived from organic and wild crafted essential oils and absolutes, then I’m smitten.
Trance Essence has launched their Nectar Bath & Body collection which features body oils that satisfy my above preferences. Rose hip, evening primrose, jojoba, macadamia, and sweet almond oils are the nourishing hydrators in the Nectar Body Oils, each one with a distinct and lovely aroma.
Prayer Nectar Body Oil was the first of the four that I sampled, and I was instantly intrigued. Prayer has a soothing presence and all I wanted to do was apply this oil to my face so I could feel its comfort, intensely. Wildcrafted frankincense, organic Bulgarian lavender and organic rose geranium are the essences that bring Prayer to life, which to be honest, was surprising. Rose geranium oftentimes overwhelms me and can be too tenacious. Prayer’s rose geranium by contrast, is very wearable as its citrusy aspect gives it a bergamot-esque liveliness which is simultaneously balanced nicely by the grounding quality of frankincense. Frankincense and lavender work well together in Prayer as lavender heightens the woodiness of frankincense and frankincense accentuates lavender’s herbaceous aroma. As the rose geranium and lavender bid a leisurely farewell, frankincense remains steadfast with its incenselike essence and a remarkable creaminess that appears in the drydown. Perfect for an oil called Prayer.
Gabrielle is my undisputed favorite of the four Nectar Body Oils as rosewood (sustainably harvested), Bulgarian rose absolute, pine absolute and jasmine grandiflorum are among notes that I prize. Jasmine is at the core of Gabrielle, giving it a juicy sweet richness that is supported by woods and rose. Orange blossom is not listed in the ingredients, but its note seems to shine through Gabrielle’s drydown. How I love to be enveloped in bright citrusy florals!
Amma is a soft floral that reminds me of the perfect scent for a summer wedding. It’s light and girly and you’d be hard pressed to find someone averse to having the seat next to you. Rose, tuberose and linden blossom absolutes flaunt their flowery vitality, but I find it to be the least complex of the four Nectar Body Oils. It’s the most linear of the bunch, which isn’t necessarily a negative, but when compared against the others, Gabrielle and Prayer specifically, I am drawn to their more sophisticated nuances.
Ripe is scented with neroli absolute (orange blossom absolute), sandalwood and mimosa. Mimosa can turn sharp on my skin, therefore it is not one of my preferred notes. I enjoy mimosa more when it is blended lightly with many other botanicals, but it stands out too much for my liking in the top and middle of Ripe. Upon the drydown though, mimosa settles, becoming less high pitched and more honeyed. This mellowed sweetness melds fluidly with neroli and sandalwood, so hurray! the lovely drydown redeems Ripe in the end.
Leave a comment and you’ll be entered to win a bottle of Prayer Body Oil (gently used by me for the review) Another winner will receive samples of Gabrielle, Ripe and Amma. Extra entries if you follow Scent Hive on Bloglovin, Twitter, Google Friend Connect, Facebook’s Networked Blogs, or subscribe to Scent Hive. Please let me know in your comment what you did so you get the entries you deserve! Drawing will close Sunday June 20th at 3pm PST. Drawing closed, we have our winners.
UPDATE: Janna has offered up a Gabrielle Body Oil and a Gabrielle Bath Salt as well! More chances to win…woo hoo!
Janna Sheehan, creator of Trance Essence, makes perfumes as well. While her Nectar Bath & Body line are 100% natural, the perfumes are 75% natural. The other 25% is made up of perfume oils which contain synthetic aromachemicals.
Trance Essence Bath & Body is available at BeautyHabit. $46 for a 2oz bottle.
Posted by ~Trish